This moist cake is wonderful for breakfast, a snack, at the dinner table, or even dessert. Bring this to work, and your co-workers will love you forever!
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Grease bottom and sides of 2 8-inch x 4-inch loaf pans. Preheat oven to 350° F. Place oven rack in bottom 1/3 of oven.
In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil, eggs, poppy seeds, lemon juice and extracts; beat with wooden spoon until well blended. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with milk, beating just until moistened.
Pour into greased loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
Combine glaze ingredients until smooth; drizzle over warm loaves. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Makes 2 loaves (16 slices each).